"Music is what life sounds like." ~Eric Olson

18 October 2010

Lil Wayne

Lil Wayne is a fabulous artist. He was recently voted the second greatest rapper for the 2000-2010 years - second only to Eminem. He has released seven studio albums, twenty-three singles, and twelve mixtapes. It's not hard to debate that he is a hard-working individual.

Beyond his own music releases, he often collaborates with many different artists. A few include:

  • Weezer
  • Birdman
  • Jay Sean
  • Amerie
And quite a few more. Quite, quite a few more.

I like a lot of different things about Lil Wayne, but there are three things that make me respect him the most.

  1. His work ethic
    • As stated above, Lil Wayne seems to always be in the studio. Besides his own multiple releases, he also is the head of Young Money Entertainment, which includes such artists as Drake, Nikki Minaj, Tyga, Shanell, and a few more.
  2. His lyricism
    • The raps he comes up with have ridiculous rhymes I could never even imagine coming up with. Besides that, they just have a certain poet feel to them. Here's an example from "Runnin'" from his album Rebirth.
      • "But if I fall, I fall up and let the clouds hug me.
      • And if I fall down, I bet I hit the ground runnin'
      • Bet you searched and found nothin', lookin' for the finish line
      • Stop short cuttin', you're f***in' up your finish time
    • Here's a link to the video if you want to listen to the whole song - Runnin'
  3. His dedication to his fans
    • Lil Wayne is currently in jail for having a loaded gun in his possession. Despite the fact that he's in jail he answers his fan mail and continues to thank them for his support. 
    • He writes overall letters to his fans when possible, which are published on the website Weezythanxyou.com.
    • I was reading the letters and I noticed that at the end of a lot of his letters, he went through and personally thanked people by name for sending him letters.
I hope you take the time to consider listening to a Lil Wayne song or if you already like him, yay!!

1 comment: