"Music is what life sounds like." ~Eric Olson

01 September 2010

Books..............................................

""What's your favorite book?"


It's a good question to ponder and one that I always have trouble answering. This past week, when I was supposed to be picking out my favorite book for my media class, I had no idea what I would pick.

Do you ever feel pressured to pick out an intellectual book when someone asks you what your favorite book is? Or to pick a movie which makes a contraversial statement about life when conversing about cinema? I do.

It even comes to, when discussing music, sometimes I feel obligated to name every obscure band I've ever listened to. It becomes a contest of sorts to me, one which I feel like I never win.

I understand that my basic need to pick out an intellectual book as my "favorite" stems from the desire to seem smart and worldly, but I like books for their escapism too. I like trashy romance novels - even when they are completely unrealistic.

The type of writing in books we - my class - like is what my professor was trying to point out to us this past Monday. He pointed out that if we were interested in the types of writing we had chosen, then there was a good chance others liked it as well and we should use it as a jumpoff for our writing.

So for me, the girl who chose Catcher in the Rye (by J.D. Salinger. I highly recommend it.), the inspiration for my future writing will be completely off-the-wall and all over the place. Just warning you.

Please tell me what your favorite book is! Or how you feel about the pressure to pick weird, obscure books, songs, and movies.



Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment